Global Road Safety Partnership
Global Road Safety Partnership
Global Road Safety Partnership: South Africa
Background to the GRSP / Origin
- Increasing our activities and becoming "Partner and Deliverer of Choice" for global good practice road safety investments aimed at implementing the UN Resolution 64/255 "Improving Global Road Safety"
- Promoting alignment and collaboration for a "Decade of Action" on road safety
- Leveraging our activity through strategic partnerships with large global organisations, and in particular the Red Cross & Red Crescent movement
- Creating and supporting road safety partnerships between business, government and civil society at regional, national, provincial or city level
- Delivering and facilitating evidence-based road safety interventions on UN and World Report key themes of helmets, seat belts, drink driving, speed, fleet safety, vulnerable road users
- Demonstrating our success through consistent metrics of our "outputs" and "outcomes"
- Creating professional and institutional road safety capacity where we operate
- Adding to freely available global road safety knowledge
- Securing increased funding and extending the time we are funded for
Mission of Global Road Safety Partnership South Africa / GRSP ZA
South Africa has one of the worst road safety records in the world. Over the last 10 years more than 120 000 people were killed and more than a million injured in road traffic crashes in South Africa. The economic impact of road crashes in South Africa for 2005 is estimated at R43-billion.
While government has the responsibility to develop and implement strategies aimed at improving road safety, it is broadly recognized that road safety is a shared responsibility and the private sector, associations and other non-governmental entities have a vital role to play.
- To promote and encourage road safety in all its aspects
- To participate in and support existing roads safety initiatives
- To establish, create and implement GRSP SA initiatives
- To involve those who wish to support the GRSP SA initiatives
- To use and implement, where practically feasible, international and national best practice
- To place the name of the GRSP SA clearly in public view in all our initiatives
Responsibility of Members of the GRSP ZA
The members of the GRSP ZA will contribute to the achievement of the mission of the GRSP ZA by Actively supporting and participating in implementation of identified projects.
Responsibilities of the GRSP ZA
The GRSP SA will provide partners with:
- Coordination of the road safety projects and coordination of related public relations activities
- Publication of an annual report on activities
- Proactive communication with media and government
- Regular updates on road safety strategies, priorities and programmes
Third Africa Road Safety Summit hosted by the Global Road Safety Partnership in Cape Town 12-13 August 2014 - Safer Cities for Africa's Children
Visit the section Arrive Alive downloads and presentations to find more information on how the GRSP is working in Africa to make our children safer on the roads
Also visit the following sections: