Drive More Safely
Drive More Safely is a NPO and centre for safer driving, promoting road safety and education
Child in Traffic – Our program on pedestrian safety for 3 to 8 year olds. This program was featured on SABC 3 Expresso Breakfast Show. This training takes place every first Saturday of the month at our training facilities or by invitation from a school. Our equipment is mobile so we can come to you. Cost of the training is R20.00 per child. Child receives a certificate and a snack pack.
Child safety in the Vehicle – a campaign addressing the high fatality rate amongst children due to the lack of child safety restraints in the vehicles. We also actively lobby for the urgent revising of the child safety law in the National road traffic act. This campaign asks for used child safety seats to be donated, we refurbish them and make them available to families for a small fee. To date, the campaign has given 2500 children the opportunity to survive a car crash by being safely strapped in. Wheel Well has taken over the campaign in Johannesburg and doing justice to this Drive More Safely baby. (This campaign was featured on Etv, Great Expectations)
- Take a Break – our driver fatigue campaign running during the festive season and Easter weekends along the N1 where we have a road camp manned by Drive More Safely staff, Provincial traffic officers, SAPS and Emergency Services. This provides a safe spot where motorists can pull off, take a break, receive a cup of tea or coffee, have their blood pressure checked, receive some road safety information and literature and child restraints should they need one. This camp also provides an opportunity to make sure the vehicle is road worthy, the driver and vehicle is licensed and that the driver is not suffering from fatigue.
- Winner Feb 2011 – Social Enterprise Business Plan Competition (Department Economic Development and Tourism WC)
- Nomination – 2011 Shoprite/Checkers Woman of the Year (Education and Youth Development)
- Hero of the Month October – Lead SA
- Member – Global Road Safety Partnership (GRSP SA)
- Member – UN Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020