4x4 Driving and Vehicle Insurance
Introduction to 4x4 Vehicle Insurance
We have given much attention to 4x4 and the Safe Driving Experience. It is, however, a fact that despite the best training, accidents do happen! We need to consider the financial consequences of these accidents and provide advice to our 4x4 drivers on how to protect themselves.
When you decide to take your 4x4 vehicle where it has never been before, make sure you get the cover that is going places.
We would like to provide more information on an insurance product from our road safety partner OUTsurance:
OUT-in-Africa is the 4x4 insurance package from OUTsurance and covers vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, caravans and even watercraft used for private and leisure purposes.
The cover provided to the client is extended at minimal rates, and also offers the following additional benefits:
- The territorial limits automatically include Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe and are extended to include Angola, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
- Medical repatriation, transportation and inter-hospital transfers.
- Mechanical and electrical breakdown.
- Emergency accommodation and vehicle repairs.
- Repatriation of the vehicle and its occupants to SA.
- Full off-road use as per the vehicle manufacturer's specifications when used off-road and on 4x4 tracks.
What is OUT-in-Africa?
OUT-in-Africa provides optional cover for vehicles (motorcars, motorcycles, caravans, trailers and watercraft). If you select this cover it will be noted on your schedule and additional premium will be charged.
Any settled claims in relation to your OUT-in-Africa cover will result in you forfeiting your OUTbonus. Your 3-year cycle will however commence immediately following any claim settlement.
This document confirms the details of cover and must be read together with the facility document and your schedule.
Where am I covered?
The vehicle is covered in the SA, Botswana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Moçambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The Watercraft is also covered while afloat within a 20 km distance off the coast, where applicable, of these countries.
This cover does not include any country-specific third party insurance. This cover must be taken out at each border post should this be required for the country you are traveling to.
When am I covered?
You are covered for private use of the vehicle. This includes use for private, social, domestic or leisure purposes only. In addition, 4x4 vehicles are covered for full off-road use.
Cover is conditional upon us receiving at least 12 months' premiums, paid via your regular debit order payments, irrespective of the frequency of your travels beyond the borders of SA.
What is covered?
- Loss or damage
Loss or damage to the vehicle caused by any of the perils noted under the respective sections.
Mechanical and electrical breakdown cover for the vehicle and watercraft, including the anti-theft device/s, while outside SA. Cover is limited to the costs of airborne technical assistance and additional labour costs incurred because the vehicle is outside SA. Cover is limited to R7 500 for any one incident
- Medical Costs
The full costs of medical repatriation, transportation and inter-hospital transfers are covered. (See the MEDICAL BENEFIT TABLE for further details.)
Emergency accommodation while outside SA is limited to R1 000 per person per day and R16 000 for any one OUTsured incident.
If the vehicle is involved in an accident while outside SA, emergency repairs may be effected in order to get the vehicle functional and mobile. The cost of repairs is limited to R7 500.
Repatriation of the vehicle and its occupants to SA is limited to R65 000 for any one incident caused by any of the noted perils, as well as mechanical or electrical failure of the vehicle, while outside SA.
What is not covered?
Loss or damage
- Loss of or damage to the vehicle caused by any exclusions noted under the respective sections. See what is not covered for Comprehensive Cover under the Vehicle and Watercraft sections.
- Loss or damage to the vehicle caused by or associated with any civil or political unrest occurring in any of the specified countries except for SA and Namibia.
- Business use is excluded for OUT-in-Africa cover. Business use includes use of the vehicle for any purpose which forms an essential part of the performance of any work or function.
- Vehicles which are out of the country for more than 3 consecutive months.
- Vehicles which are out of the country for more than a total of 6 months in a calendar year.
- The costs of spares and standard labour charges in event of mechanical or electronic breakdown.
- Repatriation cover is excluded if the vehicle is immobilised for any reason other than it being involved in an accident, theft, hi-jack, mechanical or electrical failure.
For more information, Click on these links below:
- 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
- 4x4 & Water Crossings
- 4x4 Driving Hills & Rocky Surfaces
- 4x4 Driving with Mud Tyres and Mud Driving
- 4x4 Sand Driving Safety
- Tools and Spare Parts for Safe 4x4 Driving
- 4x4 Jacking & Snatch Recovery
- 4x4 Terrain Knowledge
- 4x4 Off-Road Driving and Conservation
- 4x4 Winter Driving
- 4x4 Driving and Usage of Recovery Straps
- 4X4 Winch Guide
- 25 Tips to do before going Offroad
- 4x4 Offroad Checklist
- 4x4 Insurance from Youi