Scholar Patrol Awareness With Syntell
Scholar Patrol Awareness
The Department of Community Safety, Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) and other stakeholders including Syntell come together, on an annual basis, to draw awareness to the importance of Scholar Patrol within our Johannesburg region schools.
The function, which was held on the 4th of September 2019 at the Ruimsig Stadium, aims to award learners who have successfully participated in the Scholar Patrol programme throughout the year.
The main objectives of the event are to not only improve speed calming and facilitate safe crossing of the road by learners but to also encourage Scholar Patrollers to perform a very important and responsible public service by assisting pedestrians to cross the road safely and safeguard other learners.
Scholar Patrollers are also encouraged to act as ambassadors of road safety as they encourage other learners to observe the rules of the road. The Scholar Patrollers have shown dedication to the programme, committing to what they do sometimes under hot, dusty and even in rainy conditions.
Why do we need scholar patrol?
- Each year, children travel to and from school almost 200 times.
- Dangerous traffic congestion occurs around schools with so many parents dropping their children off in the morning and picking them up after school.
- Traffic Authorities, school teachers and principals recognize that this congestion creates the most dangerous location on a child’s journey to and from school.
- Scholar Patrol performs a very important and responsible public service by controlling traffic and by safeguarding scholar pedestrians Student patrollers guide fellow students and prevent them from entering traffic when it is unsafe.
- They were also to set a good example and encourage all students to observe the rules of safety. They had to report for duty on time with the proper equipment and attire on. They had to report all infractions of the rules to their superiors. They had to provide assistance to other Patrol members when necessary. Know and enforce all safety walking and crossing rules. Lastly, they had to attend regular meetings that would discuss problem areas of traffic and street crossings.
Benefits of Scholar Patrol / School Patrol
- The Scholar Patrol program benefits the school, the community and the student safety patrollers.
- The program provides quality training and recognition for student safety patroller’s efforts.
- Apart from providing safer access to schools at nearby crossings, this program inspires patrollers to develop positive relationships with peers and authority figures and develop leadership skills, teamwork, maturity and a sense of responsibility.
- The Scholar Patrol helps foster closer ties with the community and increases the school’s visibility in the community.
- Student patrollers are visible ambassadors for their school and assist both parents and their children at school crossings.
Syntell, Scholar Patrol and Road Safety
Syntell has over the years, sponsored Scholar Patrol uniforms to various schools in the Johannesburg and Pretoria areas. This year Syntell sponsored 4500 medals and 10 trophies that were awarded to the various learners at this year’s event for their outstanding contributions to road safety.
Scholar Patrol is an important part of road safety education among learners and this year the Scholar Patrol function celebrated the 99th year since scholar patrol was established.
A word of appreciation to Syntell for their efforts to keep our scholars visible and safe!