Road Safety Tips for the Festive Season from ArriveAlive.co.za
- Obey the rules of the road and carry your driver’s license with you.
- Plan the route to your holiday destination and allow yourself enough time to reach the destination
- Make sure that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before departure. All lights and indicators, windscreens, windscreen wipers, brakes, steering, shock absorbers, exhaust system and tyres should be carefully examined for faults.
- Do not overload.
- Try to avoid driving after dark if possible.
- Have a good rest before you embark on your journey
- Take safety breaks every 2 hours or 200km. Rest, have an energy drink and continue once well-rested.
- Do not drink and drive
- Try to recognise potentially dangerous drivers on and pedestrians alongside the road and keep well clear of them
- Be visible - drive with your lights on
- Headlights should be dipped well before an approaching vehicle is within the range of the main beam.
- Always wear your seat belt and see that everyone in the car is wearing theirs.
- Drive defensively
- Stay within the speed limit at all times
- Only overtake when it is absolutely safe to do so
- Maintain at least a 2-second following distance - this distance should be increased at night, in foggy or rainy conditions and when the road is wet.
- Expect others to not be as obedient to the law as yourself
- Avoid distractions on the road such as texting, conversations on cellular phones etc
- Be courteous towards fellow road users - keep your temper and resist the temptation to retaliate
- Know your emergency numbers - When you need assistance, kindly call the following numbers
|Arrive Alive Call Centre||0861 400 800|
|Emer-G-Med||0861 007 911|
|Accident & Breakdown Towing||0860 911 326|
|Netcare 911||082 911|
Emergency numbers and Info are available on the Mobile website at ArriveAlive.mobi
Share these suggestions with your family and friends - and may you and your family have a happy and safe festive season!!
[Advice from www.arrivealive.co.za]